Friday, August 25, 2006

And there are reasons why I don't fly Delta.

Despite a laundry list of issues from before, I decided to fly Delta this week. It seemed so easy. Go to the regional airport, catch my connection in ATL, fly home. Normally I fly through ORD and was very happy that I wasn't this week since the flight I normally take was delayed due to weather (I checked this morning and it didn't arrive until after 2am!!!). So, I'm sitting at the airport and no plane. Delayed. No biggie, I should have plenty of time to catch my connection. We land and taxi and I realize I have only 20 mins to get off the plane, grab my bag, and get to A concourse. We arrive at C. CRAP! AND I'm in the second to last row of the plane! CRAP! So I get my bag and RUN! The boards say that the flight is Boarding! CRAP! I have to go DOWN the escalator to the train - people, get out of the way! OH MAN, that was the door closing chime! CRAP! EXCUSE ME! like OJ Simpson I jump into the train car. OK, 10 mins before the door closes. What gate? CRAP! A05! That's ALL THE WAY AT THE END OF THE CONCOURSE! Run, Forrest, Run! Can't breathe and this backpack weighs like a ton of bricks. WHY DID I WEAR HEELS TODAY?! this lady running behind me must be on the same flight, she's on her own. I feel like I'm going to puke. please don't have the door closed, please. Almost there....CRAP! I see a line at the counter - standbys waiting to take my seat no doubt. DOOR IS CLOSED!!!! OH NO!

and it's delayed... the board is wrong. and this is why I hate Delta.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well here we go. Only one week into a new flight schedule on Delta and I am feeling the pain. My flight goes from Orlando, Florida to Bloomington, Illinois weekly. This should be a fairly uneventful trip - or so you would suspect. As I am sure this will be continuous over the coming months, I will post weekly on my adventures.

Thursday September 14, 20006

Got to the Bloomington Airport at 3:45 pm CST for a 4:55 pm CST flight. The flight is delayed until 5:30 pm CST - no problem as I can still make my connection.

At 6:00 pm CST it's announced that we will be delayed until 6:30.

At 6:45 (sitting on the runway) we are being told that air traffic control will not allow us to take off as the Atlanta airport has a runway shutdown for construction and the skies are backed up.

At 7:10 pm CST we finally take off - though it is apparent that I will not make my connection and will have to take the last flight to Orlando that evening. CRAP!

Finally get to Atlanta at around 9:10 pm EST. I go from D Terminal to the T Terminal and get to my gate. I"VE BEEN UPGRADED TO FIRST CLASS!! (finally a good sign).

OK, this flight leaves at 10:30 pm EST. We start boarding at 10:01 pm EST. All looks good! 10:30 on the button the doors are closed and we back from the gate. BUT hold on - why are we sitting here????? Tick tock tick tock. The pilot then says that his plane seems to have a maintenance issue. It's now 11:pm EST. The pilot tries to fix the problem NO CAN DO - need to have a maintenance crew take a look and back to the gate we go. And time passes where I contemplate my upcoming career as a Barista at Starbuck's.

11:15 pm EST: Can I get off the plane - OF COURSE YOU CAN'T! Such a silly question... why even ask?

12:00 am EST. The pilot says he thinks he has it. They just need to shut down all the power of the plane. Meaning lights and everything. Five minutes later, the plane goes black and we all sit in darkness and silence for 10 minutes. Then all is restored. The pilot says it like when your laptop crashes and you need to reboot. I am hoping that Windows does not control planes..........

12:45 am EST we leave the gate and finally arrive in Orlando at 2:10 am EST.

OH yeah, due to the fact that toothpaste is considered an explosive, I now need to go to baggage return - where they are short staffed and it will take a couple extra minutes. OF COURSE.

In any event, some time after 3am I arrive home.......... Exhausted and wondering how my 5 hours of travel could turn into 10. Gotta love the Delta experience......